Victim Impact Panels
A law effective July 22, 2011 asked the Washington Traffic Safety Commission to maintain a Victim Impact Panel Registry (pdf 425.94 kB) of qualified Victim Impact Panels (VIP). The law also set minimum requirements for VIPs.
We provide a form for VIPs to certify that they meet the requirements and we provide a VIP registry.
- Certify your VIP The Victim Impact Panels Certification Form allows the designated facilitator to certify that their VIP meets the minimum requirements.
- Update your VIP Information The Victim Impact Panel Corrections or Update Form (docx ) allows the designated facilitator to update an existing VIP listing.
- View the VIP registry The Victim Impact Panel Registry (pdf 425.94 kB)provides a list of Victim Impact Panels who have self-certified that they meet all the minimum requirements set in RCW 10.01.230.
- Under the law (RCW 10.01.230):
- Courts are not required to use the WTSC registry.
- A court may use a VIP that is not on the WTSC registry as long as the VIP meets the minimum requirements. Courts may make this determination.
- There is no language that requires either the WTSC or the court to “certify” a VIP. If a panel’s designated facilitator self-certifies, WTSC will place their information on the registry. WTSC will not be responsible for certifying the panels.
Shelly Baldwin – Program Manager