Washington is a national leader in traffic safety. Our vision is to reduce traffic fatalities and serious injuries to zero by 2030 by following Target Zero: The Plan (pdf 5 mb).
We coordinate Washington’s traffic safety efforts in several ways. We:
- Work with communities and tribes to identify and help resolve traffic safety issues
- Gather, analyze and report data on traffic deaths in Washington
- Distribute state and federal traffic safety funds
- Conduct public education campaigns
Most of our funding comes from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
- We award grants to:
- State and local governments
- Law enforcement
- Non-profit organizations
- We primarily fund traffic safety projects that:
- Change driver behavior
- Address Target Zero priorities
Darrin Grondel was appointed Director of the Washington Traffic Safety Commission in 2012.
The Governor and leaders from state, city and county government serve on the board of commissioners.